When you just can't take it anymore

WHEN YOU JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

No one becomes a musician to not be noticed. No one tries to write a song that sounds like wall paper. We know literally thousands of bands, songwriters and musicians who don't get "the Notice" even though they make rackets that are worth listening to. They jump right off of the wall to both tickle and strangle your eardrums and make you clap on the 1 and the 4.

This is why we're here - to bring you the music that gets lost in the genericana.

Welcome Kit - read here first

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rave On

Or maybe I'll rant on. Or... maybe not. We'll see...

Just listened thru to the whole of the latest Buddy Holly tribute, Rave On. As I expect on tribute albums, I find some things to like, some things to hate, and occasionally, if the oven has been preheated just right, something to love. That's about what I found on this collection. Here's a track-by-track assessment, with no pretense of objectivity. And for Whirly, yes, I do have some that I really like.

Just not many.

By the way, while it's still up, you can listen in its entirety over at the NPR First Listen site.

'Dearest' performed by The Black Keys
Just dull. Not bad, just not... much. It's a little known song, so it has lots of license available for someone to interpret, but...

'Everyday' performed by Fiona Apple and Jon Brion
Another way-too-sleepy take. Very popular style over the last decade, but I'm not sure why. I think a lot of people misinterpret not trying with natural integrity or something.

'It's So Easy' performed by Paul McCartney
Sorry, but this is just dreadful! I speak as a life-long Macca fan, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy everything he does. This is similar to some of the worst late/midlife/I-can-still-rock moments on Run Devil Run, but this may have topped (or bottomed) them. If you make it thru to the spoken bits, I'm sorry. I should have warned you.

'Not Fade Away' performed by Florence and The Machine
If I heard this on it's own I probably wouldn't care for it, but coming after the Mac song, it sounds like an OK retooling of the song. Not that interesting, but the song is there and I don't know that there's much left to do with this song that hasn't already been done better and worse by others.

'(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care' performed by Cee Lo Green
This is the first cut that really makes me sit up a little bit. Cee Lo is one of the more interesting soul singers around, and I really, really like the take on this. It does what is pretty hard to do, especially with a classic - keep the basic song intact (so fans won't fuss too much) but change it up enough so that it's worth taking the trouble to cover it. I think this succeeds marvelously!

'Crying, Waiting, Hoping' performed by Karen Elson
I also quite like this one. It's not the most adventurous take, but I quite like the violin parts. I made a note to go and look up Karen's other work, so that's a plus in my opinion!

'Rave On' performed by Julian Casablancas
Ridiculous. That's all.

'I'm Gonna Love You Too' performed by Jenny O.
Annoying babygirl voice. One of the 2 acceptable female styles - either sleepy/hungover/don't-give-a-sh*t attitude delivery, or baby/infantile/aren't-I-cute. I don't know which is worse. But after this song I'm leaning in the latter direction.

'Maybe Baby' performed by Justin Townes Earle
Not bad, straight rendering. Doesn't have his dad's power to his singing, but it doesn't make me spit.

'Oh Boy!' performed by She & Him
I like this one. Zooey borders on the "sleepy" sound, but doesn't seem to do it for attitude. Personal bias, but that's what "likes" are all about!

'Changing All Those Changes' performed by Nick Lowe
Love this one of course! Nick sings just so easily, and it keeps so much of the original, even down to the guitar solo. Wait, didn't I say that wasn't necessarily good? Well, in this case I was wrong. And I know I'm right about that.

'Words Of Love' performed by Patti Smith
OK down-tempo version. Not too interesting, but it wasn't one of Buddy's best either. My kingdom for a bridge or a chorus!

'True Love Ways' performed by My Morning Jacket
Nice straight rendering, but this is one of those songs that could be easily destroyed by much messing about, and Morning Jacket handles it nicely.

'That'll Be The Day' performed by Modest Mouse
Didnt like this when it started, but I warmed to it. Some nice textures. Don't know if it's really connected to the original song anymore, except lyrically. The chords, melody and all the rest are gone, but I like the overall song. I always find myself wondering, when someone changes something this much, why not just write a new song? But of course, then, it wouldn't have gotten onto a high-profile compilation, so I guess I just answered my own question.

'Well All Right' performed by Kid Rock
Not as bad as it could be, given the source. It helps that I don't have to watch him sing it.

'Heartbeat' performed by The Detroit Cobras
Nice job on this one! It keeps the energy, melody and idea of the original, but puts their own spin on it. This is what covers should be about!

'Peggy Sue' performed by Lou Reed
I've never been a Lou fan. Yeah, that's me. Never saw or heard what I was supposed to like about him. This hasn't changed my mind. I'm sure Lou fans will enjoy it, and they're welcome to my turn on this one.

'Peggy Sue Got Married' performed by John Doe
I like John Doe, in general, though over the last few decades he's "sounded" himself into a very 2D corner. Most songs all sound way too similar to hold my attention. Not a sound I dislike, just that I've heard it enough. He does keep the melody and structure of the song, but it's totally lifeless in this rendition. I suspect it's lyrically not a song that John could really get into at all, so maybe another choice (or another tribute!) would have been a better choice for him.

'Raining In My Heart' performed by Graham Nash
Nice quiet doing on this one. Graham handles a melodic song as well as anyone around.
Sounds very much like what Nick Lowe might have done on this one, and it's a nice song to finish out the album.

So there. I liked about 1/3 of it, and really liked several of the cuts. On the plus side, the CD sells for just $10 on Amazon, or $8 for an MP3 download, so I bought it. Not at all bad for nearly 20 songs, and I certainly liked enough of them to warrant the download. Do yourself a favor, though, and listen thru it on the NPR site, so you know what's what.

I like the idea of cover songs and tributes in general, and I'm not really bothered to find a lot of cuts I don't care for. One of the pitfalls of covering classics - there's a lot of residual competition in the gray matter!

4 comments:

  1. Just listening to more of Karen Elson, and I like what I've heard so far. Here's a video from her newest album: http://vimeo.com/21808702

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herr Molio - you just missed the $3.99 Daily Deal on Amazon! I wasn't impressed with what I heard but broke down and bought it. Surprisingly, I agree with your comments:
    Macca - What gives? It was like he was trying to be au courant.
    She & Him - I don't want to like them but I do.

    Buddy Holly's music seems simple but that just means it's simple to desecrate (Mr Casablancas and Ms O)...

    Lou Reed, especially with Velvet Underground is amazing but I knew I wouldn't like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the Karen Elson download for her new album, and I really like it. Hadn't heard of her before this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15588-rave-on-a-tribute-to-buddy-holly/

    Uh oh...you and Pitchfork apparently have similar taste...

    ReplyDelete